Replacing Your Driver's License, Learner's Permit or Non-Driver ID (In-State Mailing)
If your Connecticut license, ID card or learner’s permit has been lost or destroyed, and you need to obtain a duplicate, you may do one of the following, depending on the type of duplicate you are requesting:
1. Obtain a Duplicate by Mail, Email or Fax (In-State Mailing)
If the information on your credential will remain the same (e.g. name, address), you may get a duplicate by using one of the following options: (*Drive Only licenses are not eligible for this service).
By Email or Fax:
You may fax the above completed form to (860) 263-5591.
After one business day, contact the Centralized Issuance Operations Unit at (860) 263-5401 (Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.) to make a credit card payment (Mastercard, Visa, Discover ONLY).
Your duplicate credential will be mailed directly to the address on file and you will receive it in approximately 5-7 business days.
*If you are currently out-of-state or out-of-country click here.
This option is available for all license, ID and permit types.
**No CDLs, commercial learner’s permits or licenses with passenger endorsements, and no Drive Only licenses.
NOTE: You will not receive a permanent driver’s license or ID card when you appear in person. It will arrive through the mail. If you appear in person for a duplicate you will receive a temporary paper card.
Your new driver's license or ID will only be mailed to the mailing address you provide DMV. If you have mail forwarding you will NOT receive your driver's license or ID.
- $30 to replace a driver's license, Commercial Driver's License (CDL), or non-driver photo ID.
- $19 to replace a learner's permit.
- $16 to replace a motorcycle learner's permit.
- $8 convenience fee for DMV transactions processed at AAA offices, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) and West Haven City Hall.
- $10 to replace a Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDIP).