Obtaining a Motorcycle Learner's Permit
The learner's permit allows you to drive a motorcycle with restrictions to help you gain experience on the road and allows you to drive the motorcycle without a motorcycle endorsement for 60 days. A permit can be renewed once during the same calendar year.
- Begin the process to get a motorcycle endorsement. (The motorcycle novice safety course is not required to obtain a learner's permit.)
- Make an appointment at a DMV office. Make your appointment here.
- Pass the vision and motorcycle knowledge tests. Once you pass both tests, you qualify for a motorcycle learner's permit.
- $40 for the knowledge test fee.
- $16 for the motorcycle learner's permit. See acceptable forms of payment.
- Valid in Connecticut only.
- Valid during daylight use only.
- Not valid for carrying passengers.
- Not valid on a limited access highways.
- Vision protecting devise must be used, including but not limited to goggles, glasses, face shields, windshields and wind screens.
- Protective headgear of a type which conforms to the minimum specifications established by Section 14-289g of the Connecticut General Statutes must be worn.