DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Change of Name

This service is provided by appointment only at DMV offices, in addition to license partner offices.   
Prior to visiting DMV service location to change your name, you must first visit the Social Security Administration (SSA) to file your name change.  The change will not be processed at a DMV service location until the Social Security Administration information is updated, which may take up to 48 hours. All applicants will be verified through SSA. 
Requirements needed to change your name are:


Change of Name on Photo License or Non-Driver ID Card:

  • A completed Change of Name Request (form E-78).
  • Current driver's license or Non-Driver ID Card.
  • Certified documentation that shows the change of name (i.e. marriage license, civil union certificate, divorce decree probate court documents).

Photocopies and religious marriage certificates will not be accepted

  • When making any material change (e.g., name change, changes to date of birth, gender changes, etc.) to Connecticut driver's license or Non-Driver ID card, the former driver's license or Non-Driver ID card  must be surrendered in conjunction with the issuance of a Temporary Paper Card.
  • A new license or ID card will be issued indicating the changes made, there is a $30 fee for making this change to your driver's license or Non-Driver ID card. 
  • AAA locations and Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union offices (Milford | North Haven | Norwalk) may charge a convenience fee up to $8.00 per DMV transaction. 

Note: In a situation where a license has been lost or stolen, the above documentation is required along with the documents and fees that are required to replace a lost, stolen or damaged license.

Change of Name on a Registration (DMV offices only):

For a name change on your registration, the owner must show certified documentation that shows the change of name (i.e. marriage license, civil union certificate, divorce decree, probate court documents, etc.).  Only the registration document must be presented, as the ownership on the Certificate of Title is not changing.  A Registration Affidavit (form B-301) must be completed.  If changing a name on both a driver's license and vehicle registration, you can perform both services with one appointment at a DMV office

Note: If you do not turn in your current registration a $20.00 duplicate registration fee will be charged.