Renewing Your Drive Only License
***EXTENSION OFFERED: DMV is offering extensions to Connecticut residents with expiring driver’s licenses, ID cards and learner’s permit’s. No late fees will be assessed for eligible credentials. Learn more.
Credentials that expire between March 10, 2020 and June 30, 2020 are automatically extended by 180-days.
Credentials that expire between July 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020 are automatically extended by 90-days.
You may renew your license on or as early as six months prior to your license expiration date.
What to do:
- Proceed to the nearest DMV office ONLY. A Drive Only license cannot be renewed at a AAA location, Milford and North Haven Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union, Stamford (The WorkPlace, Inc.) or West Haven City Hall.
What to bring:
- Your Drive Only License. If lost, bring one identity document from the Drive Only Renewal Document Checklist - English version | Spanish version. If your documents are in a language other than English, they must be translated by a DMV-approved translator.
- Proof of Connecticut Residency: Two (2) different pieces of mail from two (2) different sources to prove your home is located in Connecticut. Mail must include your name and address, and be dated in accordance with the Drive Only Renewal Document Checklist - English version | Spanish version.
- Name Change Documents, if applicable: Required if you need to change your name on your license. Please see the Drive Only Renewal Document Checklist - English version | Spanish version - for acceptable name change documents.
What it will cost:
- $72 renewal fee for a three-year renewal.
- See acceptable forms of payment.
- NOTE: Late fee of $25 will be charged for the renewal of an expired driver's license.