Drive Only License
Avoid unnecessary fees and save time by following these steps:
- Collect your documents. Use the Drive Only License Document Checklist - English version | Spanish version -- If your documents are in a language other than English, they must be translated by a DMV-approved translator.
- Study for the learner's permit knowledge test.
- Make your appointment online for vision and knowledge tests. Fees will be collected when making an appointment. There is no walk-in testing without a scheduled appointment. NOTE: See refund policy.
- When you make your appointment you will be required to sign an affidavit stating that you have filed or will file, as soon as you are eligible, an application to legalize your immigration status.
- Bring required documents to your test appointment.
- You are not eligible if you have a felony in Connecticut or if you committed identity fraud at the CT DMV.
- Once you pass your tests and are otherwise eligible (see item 6), DMV will mail you a learner permit to practice driving.
- Meet driver training requirements with learner permit. The requirements vary depending on your age:
What it will cost:
- Testing fee: $40 (paid online when making appointment).
- Learner's permit fee: $19 (paid online when making appointment).
- Drive Only license fee: $72.
- Driving school fees. (Vary depending on school and training needed.)