DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.


Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA)
CDL Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) Requirement
Frequently Asked Questions


What is FMCSA’s CDL ELDT requirement?

Effective February 7, 2022, no Commercial Driver License (CDL) entry-level operator may take a CDL skills test to receive a CDL A, CDL B, Public Passenger (P) Endorsement, or School Bus (S) Endorsement unless the driver has successfully completed a mandatory theory (knowledge) and behind-the-wheel (BTW) training program by a registered CDL ELDT provider/trainer.

Also, effective February 7, 2022, any individual seeking a Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement must complete the respective ELDT training prior to taking the Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement knowledge test.

Click here for more information. 


Who is required to complete FMCSA’s CDL ELDT requirement?

1. Effective February 7, 2022, the following individuals are required to complete the ELDT prior to taking a CDL skills test:

  • First time Class A
  • First time Class B
  • Seeking an upgrade from a Class B to Class A
  • Seeking an upgrade from Class C to Class B
  • Seeking a Public Passenger (P) Endorsement
  • Seeking a School Bus (S) Endorsement

2. Effective February 7, 2022, an individual seeking a Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement knowledge test must complete FMCSA’s CDL ELDT Requirement.

Click here for more information.

Who Is Exempt from ELDT?

  • Any individual that holds a Class A, Class, B, a Public Passenger (P) Endorsement, and/or School Bus (S) Endorsement, and/or a Hazardous Material (H) Endorsement prior to February 7, 2022.
  • Any individual that has a valid Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) issued prior to February 7, 2022.
  • An individual that qualifies for a waiver under 49 CFR Section 383 (e.g., active duty military, separated from military- veteran, etc.) Click here to access 49 CFR Section 383.

If I obtained my Commercial License Permit (CLP) prior to February 7, 2022 and the CLP expires after February 7, 2022, will I have to take FMCSA’s ELDT for a new CLP?


Where would I obtain the ELDT training?

CDL training school providers, or entities seeking to train their own employees, must register with FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry (TPR) and self-certify, under penalty of perjury, that they comply with FMCSA’s requirements for ELDT training and will teach the FMCSA-prescribed curriculum for the applicable CDL class or endorsement. FMCSA opened the TPR website on June 28,2021  The CDL training schools, or entities seeking to train their own employees, are encouraged to sign up in order to meet the February 7, 2022 ELDT implementation date.

CDL trainers are listed on the FMCSA website

Where can I find the list of Connecticut licensed CDL training school providers? 

Click here to view CDL training school providers authorized by the State of Connecticut to offer instruction and training. 

Please note that any person, board, association, partnership, corporation, limited liability company or other entity offering or advertising CDL instruction and training in any form or manner for any remuneration, consideration, reward or fee of whatever nature to the general public are required to obtain authorization by the Office of Higher Education before advertising or offering such instruction. This does NOT include entities seeking to train their own employees

For information on applying for authorization, click here

View the application to become a CDL training school provider. 

For further information contact Sean Seepersad, Chief Academic Officer, Office of Higher Education,

What are the number of operator training hours required?

The number of hours that CDL driver-trainees must spend on the theory (i.e., knowledge) portions of any of the individual curricula are not defined. The regulations prescribe specific topics for each of the five theory curricula and require the training provider to cover all topics. The driver-trainees are required to demonstrate their understanding of the material by achieving an overall score on the written (or electronic) theory assessment of at least 80 percent. 

The entry-level driver training (ELDT) regulations do not require a minimum number of hours for the completion of CDL Behind the Wheel (BTW) training (e.g., Class A, Class B and the passenger (P) and school bus (S) endorsements). Proficiency of the BTW portions of the various curricula is based solely on the CDL training instructor’s assessment of each CDL driver trainee’s individual performance of the required elements of BTW training on the range and public road. All BTW training must be conducted in a representative vehicle for the commercial driver’s license (CDL) class or endorsement being sought.

The regulations generally do not replace or otherwise supersede state ELDT requirements that exceed these minimum federal standards when an entry-level driver obtains training in that state. Whether additional state ELDT-related requirements apply to the applicant will be determined by where the individuals obtains their behind-the-wheel (BTW) and/or theory training for the Class A or Class B commercial driver’s license (CDL) and/or the public passenger (P), school bus (S), or hazardous materials (H) endorsements.

For example, if a state requires that CDL entry-level drivers complete a CDL training program with a prescribed minimum number of BTW hours, a CDL driver-trainee who obtains BTW training in that state must comply with that requirement. Similarly, CDL driver-trainees would be required to comply with any additional state-based requirements applicable to theory training in the state where they obtain their CDL training. The regulations do not prohibit CDL driver-trainees from obtaining training outside their state of domicile if they so choose.

Please note that the operator must obtain their permit in their respective state of domicile.

How long does the operator/trainee have to complete both the ELDT’s theory and behind the wheel training?

With the exception of operators seeking the Hazardous Material Endorsement, operators/trainees have one year to complete both the theory and behind the wheel training. 

If I am currently a CDL training provider, or desire to become an ELDT CDL trainer, how would I register for FMCSA’s Trainer Provider Registry?

For those entities seeking to become a CDL EDLT training provider, the entity must register with FMCSA and self-certify that they meet the applicable FMCSA eligibility requirements set forth by FMCSA, and affirm under penalty of perjury that the provider will teach the FMCSA-prescribed curriculum that is applicable for the CDL class or endorsement. Please note:

On June 28, 2021, FMCSA updated the Training Provider Registry website to enable those entities interested in FMCSA’s ELDT training provider registration.

Only training providers who have registered with FMCSA through the Training Provider Registry will appear on the public list and be able to submit information certifying a driver’s successful completion of entry-level driver training. The list of registered training providers will be available to the public later this year. Training providers can register online by visiting:

Resources for training providers: 

Where can I access FMCSA’s ELDT FAQ information?

Additional information can be found online here.