➤ Learner’s Permit Knowledge Testing is being done by appointment only at the DMV’s Cheshire (Wednesday – Friday) and Wethersfield (Tuesday – Friday) locations. All appointments will be confirmed or canceled by email. Be sure to check your email prior to heading to the DMV.

➤ For the health and safety of the public as well as our employees, some services including road tests are postponed until further notice.

➤ Extensions provided for renewals of driver’s licenses, non-driver ID cards, vehicle registrations, emissions testing and other credentials, expiring between March 10 and June 30. For details, visit CTDMV.info

➤ Vehicle and boat registration drop-off services are available at DMV’s Enfield, Old Saybrook and Waterbury locations. Learn More

➤ Many DMV services remain available online, by phone and through the mail. For details, visit CTDMV.info

The DMV’s staff is working diligently to reduce its backlog and to provide critical services to essential businesses. Transactions are being completed as quickly as possible, in the order in which they are received. The average turnaround time is approximately four weeks. The DMV appreciates the public’s patience as it navigates through the COVID-19 pandemic.

Transferring a Commercial Driver's License
From Another State

***EXTENSION OFFERED:  For any person who moved to Connecticut after March 10, 2020, DMV is extending by 180 days the period of time that person has to obtain a license, registration or emissions inspection in Connecticut.  For additional DMV service updates, visit https://CTDMV.info


PLEASE NOTE: This service is only provided at a DMV Hub Office.  Click here to find a Hub office near you

A driver that has moved to Connecticut and holds a current out of state Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) must apply for a Connecticut CDL within 30 days of establishing residency in Connecticut.

If the out of state CDL license has been lost, they must apply for a duplicate through their prior state. If they are unable to obtain a duplicate, they must re-test in CT.

The applicant can obtain a Connecticut CDL of equal class usually without testing.   The School Bus Endorsement and Hazardous Material Endorsement (Hazmat) are the exceptions. Please see the applicable web page on these endorsements.

You must present the following at a DMV Hub Office:

1. Your current out-of-state CDL.  A CDL will not be issued if the operator’s privileges are suspended in any state.  An abstract of your current out-of-state CDL is not acceptable.  You must surrender the out of state license. A "CDL" from Puerto Rico cannot be transferred to CT. They must downgrade to a Class D license and go through all the testing/permit requirements to obtain a CT CDL license.

2. Your certified Birth Certificate or valid Passport (hospital birth certificate or photocopies will not be accepted).  Please Note:  Puerto Rico-issued birth certificates dated before July 1, 2010, will not be accepted.  Please see more detailed information on acceptable forms of identification.  

3. Your Social Security card (laminated or metal cards are not accepted) or your most recent W-2 form.

4. Verification of Connecticut Resident Address (P.O. Box is not acceptable):  DMV requires two forms of address verification (mortgage, bank statements, utility bill, etc.). 

5. Medical certification with the DMV.  Must have current legible, unexpired medical certification completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with your previous state of record prior to transferring your out-of-state CDL. 

6. Application for Commercial Driver’s License (R-229a). Request this form to be mailed to you.

7. Self-certification with DMV. Must have a self-certification status in your previous state of record before applying to transfer your out-of-state CDL. Connecticut CDL holders may self-certify online.

8. Application fee – The fee for a CDL Change State of Record will be either $70 or $87.50, fee determined on license duration issued.  See acceptable forms of payment at DMV office locations.

NOTE: If you are not a citizen of the United States, you will be required to show proof of legal status in this country.

Once all documentation is completed you will then be administered a vision test.

You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV office.   It will arrive through the mail.  You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance.  After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.