- Vehicles for the CDL road skills test
- What to bring to the road skills test
- See what you will be evaluated on during test
- What to do after you pass the test
- What to do if you fail any part of the test
- How to change the class of your CDL
|Current License Class||Desired License Class||Representative Vehicle|
|Non-commercial driver's license||Any CDL||See CDL Definitions|
|CDL "C"||CDL "B" or "A"||See CDL Definitions|
|CDL "B"||CDL "A"||See CDL Definitions|
|Currently holding a CDL "A", "B" or "C"||Wants to obtain a "P" and/or "S" endorsement||See CDL Definitions|
|Currently holding a CDL and requesting to revoke an "L" Restriction (Air Brake Restriction)||CDL without an "L" Restriction||Vehicle of equal or high CDL Class with Air Brakes|
- Trailer greater than 48 feet in length
- Vehicle bearing a Farm, Transport, or any Dealer or Repairer plates
- A truck-tractor is NOT representative of a Class “B” vehicle
- Vehicles with loaded cargo are not allowed for the skills test.
- The representative test vehicle for the class of license for which you are applying. See chart above.
- Be accompanied by a driver who holds a valid CDL which authorizes operation of the test vehicle to and from the test
- Your VALID Connecticut driver’s license
- Commercial Driver Instruction Permit (CDIP)
- Validated goldenrod (GOLD COPY) of the Application for Commercial Driver's License (DMV Form R-229a). The $30 validation for the test fee must be displayed on copy. NOTE: If you lose your goldenrod copy you will be required to complete a new R-229a and repay the $30 skills test fee at a DMV branch prior to testing. Request a new form to be mailed to you.
- You must have a current, legible, unexpired medical certificate completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with the DMV prior to renewal. Please upload your current certificate to Connecticut's Online Medical Certification System.
- Pre-trip inspection
- Static course
- On-the-road/skills test