Obtaining a Commercial Learner Permit (CLP)
Effective October 1, 2019 the Connecticut DMV will issue a Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) that is valid for one year from the date of issue. If you do not obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) before the CLP expires, you must retake and pass all knowledge tests again in order to obtain a new permit.
This fee will be in addition to the $75.00 fee for the State criminal background check for each Public Service Endorsement applicant.
You will be required to provide additional identity documents. If you currently have a non-verified Class D license (i.e., no Gold Star”) you will be required to provide documentation and obtain a verified (“Gold Star”) Class D license prior to the issuance of a CLP. The fee for a duplicate Class D is $30. Find more information here.
- Required Documentation (to apply)
- General Knowledge Testing
- Endorsement Testing
- Failing a Test
- CLP Term
- Obtaining a Duplicate CLP
- School Bus Operators
- Your valid Connecticut Driver’s License. Be sure you meet CDL age requirements.
- You will be required to provide additional identity documents. See here for more information.
- Your Social Security card (laminated or metal cards not accepted) or most recent W-2 form.
- You must have a current, legible, unexpired medical certificate completed by a Certified Medical Examiner on file with the DMV prior to renewal. Please fax your current card to: (860) 263-5568 or email your current card to: DMV.CDL@CT.GOV
- Printed confirmation notice of self-certification with DMV. Applicants must self-certify through the DMV website and print confirmation notice.
- You will be required to complete the Application for Commercial Driver's License (DMV Form R-229a). Request the form to be mailed to you.
- Military Personnel: See special instructions and exemptions.
|General Knowledge||Air Brakes||Combination||Passengers
|Class A||X||If equipped||X||If carrying passengers||If driving school bus|
|Class B||X||If equipped||If carrying passengers||If driving school bus|
|Class C||X||If equipped||If carrying passengers||If driving school bus|
- The Hazardous Materials Endorsement test has 30 questions (need 24 correct to pass).
- The Air Brakes endorsement test has 25 questions (need 20 correct to pass).
- The Combination Vehicle, School Bus, Passenger, Tanker, and Doubles and Triples endorsement tests have 20 questions (need 16 correct to pass).
|All other endorsements (S-school bus, T-doubles/triples, P-passenger, N-liquid bulk/tank cargo, H-hazardous materials and X-hazardous material and tank, combined)||$5 for each endorsement requested|
|Skills Test||$30 (paid at time of knowledge test)|