Obtaining a Commercial Learner Permit (CLP)


Effective January 01, 2019 there will be a federal criminal history background check fee increase from $12.00 to $13.25 for each Public Service Endorsement applicant.

This fee will be in addition to the $75.00 fee for the State criminal background check for each Public Service Endorsement applicant.
NEW PROCESS: You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV office.   It will arrive through the mail.  You may retain your expiring license or ID provided there are no changes other than address.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.

You will be required to provide additional identity documents. If you currently have a non-verified Class D license (i.e., no Gold Star”) you will be required to provide documentation and obtain a verified (“Gold Star”) Class D license prior to the issuance of a CLP. The fee for a duplicate Class D is $30.  Find more information here

Getting Started
A Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP) is required for the operation of a commercial vehicle while under the instruction of a licensed CDL operator. 
Select an option below to learn more about the Commercial Learner Permit.
Required Documentation (must be presented when appearing for CDL knowledge testing):
NOTE:  If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen, you will be required to show proof of your legal status in this country.  Please see Acceptable Forms of Identification for Non-U.S. Citizens.
General Knowledge testing:
Once the above documentation is presented and accepted by a DMV representative you will be required to take and pass a general knowledge test depending on the type of commercial motor vehicle you intend to operate. 
Testing is only offered at DMV Hub officesFind an office near you.
The general knowledge test consists of 50 questions (40 correct answers represents a passing score).  In order to prepare for the test, the Connecticut Commercial Driver’s Manual should be studied.


CDL Testing Requirements for License Classifications
   General Knowledge Air Brakes Combination Passengers
"P" Endorsement
School Bus
"S" Endorsement
 Class A  X  If equipped  X  If carrying passengers  If driving school bus
 Class B  X  If equipped    If carrying passengers  If driving school bus
 Class C  X  If equipped    If carrying passengers  If driving school bus



Endorsement Testing:
In addition to the General Knowledge test if you are requesting to have additional endorsements added to your license you will be required to pass a test for each endorsement you apply for. 
  • The Hazardous Materials Endorsement test has 30 questions (need 24 correct to pass). 
  • The Air Brakes endorsement test has 25 questions (need 20 correct to pass).
  • The Combination Vehicle, School Bus, Passenger, Tanker, and Doubles and Triples endorsement tests have 20 questions (need 16 correct to pass).
NOTE:  If you are applying for a Hazardous Materials Endorsement (H) or Public Passenger Endorsement (S, V, A or F) there are additional requirements that must be met.  Please see additional information Hazardous Materials Endorsements or Public Passenger Endorsements
Applicants or holders of a public passenger endorsement must have an acceptable driving record.
Test Fees:
CDL Test Fees
 Test Fee
 General Knowledge  $16
 Air Brakes  $5
 Combination  $5
 All other endorsements (S-school bus, T-doubles/triples, P-passenger, N-liquid bulk/tank cargo, H-hazardous materials and X-hazardous material and tank, combined)  $5 for each endorsement requested
 Skills Test  $30 (paid at time of knowledge test)
The skills test fee (on-the -road portion of the test) must be paid when the application for the CLP is submitted.
Failed Knowledge Tests:
If you fail any knowledge tests you must wait until the next business day to retake the test.  You will be required to complete a new Application for Commercial Driver’s License (DMV Form R-229a) and pay the test fee again.
Passing the General Knowledge and Endorsement Tests:
Once you have passed the required knowledge test(s), you will be required to pay a $10 fee for the issuance of the Commercial Learner Permit (CLP).
CLP - Renewal
The CLP is valid for a period of 180 days.  It can only be renewed one time during the two-year period from the date the original CLP is issued.  Applicants must provide printed confirmation notice of self-certification with DMV. Applicants must self-certify through the DMV website, print confirmation notice and bring it to DMV. The fee for renewal is $10.
CLP – Duplicate
A replacement CLP may be issued if it is lost, stolen or destroyed.  The fee charged for a replacement is $10. 
School Bus Operators:
A school bus endorsement applicant must present a letter from his/her employer to have certain fees waived. If the letter is presented, the fees are waived for the General Knowledge test, CLP and Skills Test.  The applicant does pay the fees for the endorsements that allow the operator to carry passengers; e.g., air brakes, passenger and school bus endorsements.  A CDL with “S” and “P” endorsements is required to operate a school bus. Applicants or holders of a public passenger endorsement (S, V, A or F) must have an acceptable driving record.