Search Department of Motor Vehicles Filtered Topic Search

Licensing Requirements for New Residents

NEW PROCESS: You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at DMV.   It will arrive through the mail. For more on this, please see Central Issuance. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.
NOTE: This service is offered at DMV Hub Offices only. Find a DMV Hub Office near you.

This service is provided on a walk-in basis.

Once you have established residency in Connecticut, you have 30 days to transfer your out-of-state license to Connecticut. 
DRIVE ONLY APPLICANTS: If you would like to apply for a Drive Only License (for undocumented individuals), please follow these instructions.

The driver must possess an out-of-state license which has not expired for more than 2 years. A vision test will be administered prior to the issuance of the Connecticut license. Bring glasses or contact lenses if needed for testing. 
When you are prepared to apply for a Connecticut Driver's License, please visit a DMV Hub Office.
You will be asked to provide the following:
Special situations:
  • If your out-of-state license has expired for more than two years, you must obtain a Learner's Permit and you will be required to take an 8-hour safe driving practices course at a Connecticut-licensed driving school before taking skills test at a DMV office.

  • If you have lost your out-of-state license you will need to obtain a certified copy of your out of state driver history or abstract dated within 60 days. The previous licensing state will be notified of the issuance of the Connecticut license, and your previous state license will be cancelled. 

  • Full time students living in Connecticut but maintaining out of state or out of country permanent residency do not have to obtain a Connecticut license as long as full-time student status is in effect. Once full-time student status is terminated (according to school records), you have 30 days to obtain a Connecticut license.

  • Military personnel and dependents stationed in Connecticut are not required to obtain a Connecticut license.  For Connecticut license holders, please see Military Personnel Renewing their Connecticut Driver's License.   

  • Foreign travelers on a visitor's visa may operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for one year with a valid out of country license and an International Driver Permit which is obtained from their home country.

  • A license from American Samoa, Guam or U.S. Virgin Islands is the same as an out of state license (same requirements as above); however, you must obtain an abstract of your driver record from your home territory prior to transferring your license to Connecticut. [$IF ROLE IN '364'$]The abstract is valid for 60 days from the date of issue. [$ELSE IF ROLE$][$END IF ROLE$]

    The DMV will waive the requirement for an applicant to present an abstract when transferring a non CDL license from Guam for active duty military personnel and their family members. The applicant's military identification or the family member's dependent identification must be shown.

  • A license from Puerto Rico is the same as an out of state license (same requirements as above), however the DMV office you visit will verify your Puerto Rico license with your home territory prior to transferring your Puerto Rico license to Connecticut. The DMV will notify you via mail of your Puerto Rico license status. The letter that you receive from the DMV will provide you with information on how to proceed with the licensing transaction.

  • A valid license from Canada, Germany or France can also be transferred to Connecticut using the same procedures for an out-of-state license. 

Reminder:  As a new Connecticut resident, you are required to transfer your out of state registration to Connecticut within 60 days.  Please see Requirements to Transfer Your Out of State Registered Vehicle for detailed information.