Adult Learner's Permit - Training Requirements
- Active duty military - stationed out-of-state - must provide orders and military ID card.
- Any customer who has previously held a Connecticut Learner's Permit or Driver's License that can be verified in the DMV system.
- Any customer that held a driver's license in the past. This includes individuals who have held an out-of-state driver's license, US territory or out-of-country license. Must provide expired license or abstract from previous state or country. Foreign documents must be translated by an approved translator.
Before taking the on-the-road skills test, you will be required to take an 8-hour Safe Driving Practices Course. If you had a Connecticut Driver's License and it has been expired for 2 years or more, you are not required to take the 8-hour Safe Driving Practice Course.
- You can take it at any time, but you must take it before taking the on-the-road skills test.
- It can be taken through a commercial or secondary driving school.
- Proof of course completion (Form CS-1) will be issued by a Connecticut licensed driving school and electronically sent to DMV after successful completion of the training course.