DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Insurance Compliance - Frequently Asked Questions

Connecticut law requires that any motor vehicle registration that has not been canceled must have liability insurance.  If your registration has expired, liability insurance on the vehicle is required until the registration/license plates have been canceled

You can not drive a motor vehicle on a public road without liability insurance.

Information concerning the minimum amounts of insurance and other questions relating to automobile insurance may be directed to the State of Connecticut Insurance Department at 860-297-3800.

Avoid Penalties!
Be sure to return your license plates and registration immediately to any DMV office and obtain a receipt when you cancel your insurance or sell or transfer ownership of your vehicle.

How are insurance violators identified?

Connecticut mandatory insurance reporting law protects all of us by requiring insurance companies to report records of uninsured vehicles. Following a matching process of other active insurance and registration records, vehicles in violation are reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for administrative action.

What is Connecticut's Registration Certificate?

When you register or renew a vehicle registration, you must certify insurance coverage. Your signature attests that minimum vehicle liability insurance will be maintained throughout the registration period and the vehicle will not be driven without insurance. Action must be taken by the DMV if this statement is not honored.

What will happen if I drop insurance on a vehicle or have a lapse of coverage?

Whenever insurance coverage is cancelled, the DMV is notified by the insurance company and the registrant is mailed a Warning Notice offering the opportunity to enter into a consent agreement, obtain insurance, and pay a fine of $200. By doing so, no further action will be taken against the registrant as long as insurance is maintained.

What if I don't respond to the notice?

Failure to comply with the suspension notice will result in suspension of the vehicle registration & the registration privilege of the registrant. At that time, a hearing may be requested. An adverse decision following an administrative hearing will result in:

  • Suspension of registration
  • Loss of all privileges to renew or register ANY motor vehicle

How do I keep from being reported to the DMV?

Maintain liability insurance if you intend to operate your vehicle and have active registration plates. If you do not intend to operate your vehicle, return your license plates and either cancel them or place them on hold.

What if I am not using my seasonal vehicle and wish to retain my license plates?

Request in writing through your insurance carrier "suspension of liability." Be sure to keep comprehensive coverage during that time which reduces your insurance rate and keeps your vehicle from being reported. While doing this, you must NOT operate your vehicle.

What if I don't want to pay insurance while my car is inoperable or being stored?

You may turn your marker plates into any DMV and request that they be placed on "hold." At that time, you may then drop all insurance coverage on the vehicle. You may also cancel your plates and request a refund if a year or more remains unused.

What do I do with my plates when I move out of state?

Once your vehicle or vehicles are registered with your new state, cancel your vehicle registration(s) with the Connecticut DMV and obtain a receipt. This will keep you from being reported as an insurance violator and also stop taxes from accruing. 

What if my plates were lost or stolen?

Complete a Marker Plate Notice (form E-159), available online or at any DMV branch office. Be sure to obtain a receipt.  You may also cancel your registration online.

How do I cancel my registration if my plates were turned into the state to which I moved?

Your license plates are not returned to Connecticut from your new state; therefore, you must provide a letter requesting your registration(s) be cancelled and address be updated for all DMV records.  You may also cancel your registration online.

How do I notify the DMV that a registrant is deceased?

Notify the DMV by providing a copy of the death certificate or obituary and a letter of request to send all future correspondence to the party responsible for the estate.

If I am selling my vehicle and wish to keep my license plates, what do I do?

Prior to the sale of the vehicle, you may request "suspension of liability", keeping comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. By doing so, you may keep the plates on the car until it is sold and remain in compliance with the law.

Following the sale of your vehicle, you must bring your plates in and either place them on "hold" until you are ready to use them again or cancel them. Should you have more than a year left of the registration, you may request a one-year refund. This must be done prior to the dropping of insurance on that vehicle.

When must I provide proof of insurance to the DMV?

  • When your previous insurer informs the DMV that your policy has been cancelled and the DMV notifies you that proof of insurance is necessary. Depending on when you change your insurance carrier, your new insurance provider may be unable to provide information to show coverage prior to your being mailed a suspension notice.

How do I provide proof of insurance?

When you are requested to provide proof of insurance coverage, a declaration page or valid permanent insurance card identifying the vehicle(s) in question are the only acceptable forms of verification.  Temporary insurance cards, bills, or binders are not acceptable.

How do I rectify my insurance case once my registration has been suspended?

  • Pay an uninsured motorist civil penalty for each lapse of insurance of $200.00.
  • Provide proof of insurance.
  • Upon receipt of $200.00 and proof of insurance, your registration suspension will be rescinded and your current registration will then be valid.

How do I contact the DMV Insurance Compliance Unit?

Department of Motor Vehicles
Compliance Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161-4020
Phone: 860-263-5725