DMV is open by appointment only. Return to our homepage to schedule an appointment or to view online services.

Facial coverings must be worn during all road skills tests and are highly recommended to be worn when entering a DMV office.

Obtaining a Motor Vehicle Leasing and Rental License

Under Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec. 14-15a any person, firm or corporation before engaging in the business of leasing or renting of motor vehicles without drivers in this state and any person, firm or corporation which is the lessor of or rents any vehicle required to be registered under the provisions of section 14-15a shall make a sworn application to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles for a license to engage in such leasing or renting.  Listed below are the documents necessary to obtain a license:
  • An Application and License for Motor Vehicle Leasing Companies (form K-7) must be completed, signed and notarized.
    • The application and license for the leasing company must be in the name and address of the Lessor (leasing company) and must be signed by an owner, officer, or an agent with power of attorney.
  • A Connecticut State Sales Tax Number must be obtained from the Department of Revenue Services.  A copy of this certificate must be submitted with the leasing license application.  The address and phone number for the Department of Revenue Services are:
       Department of Revenue Services
    State of Connecticut
    450 Columbus Blvd Ste 1
    Hartford CT 06103-1837

           Phone:  860-297-4885
           Toll Free:  1-800-382-9463

  • Proof of financial responsibility must be submitted in the form of a Connecticut Special Financial Responsibility Insurance Certificate (form R1325D) as required in accordance to the provision of Connecticut State Law Title 14 Sec.14-15.  The insurance certificate can be obtained from any insurance company licensed to do business in the State of Connecticut. DMV does not supply the R1325D insurance certificate.

    Blanket coverage - The lessor files one insurance certificate (R1325D) which covers any and all vehicles owned that will be registered in this State. The insurance certificate can be obtained from any insurance company licensed to do business in the State of Connecticut. DMV does not supply the R1325D. Blanket coverage is for all owned vehicles as provided by section 14-112 or 14-129, regardless of the duration of the lease or rental period. 

    A $15,000 Surety Bond (form K-158) must be posted - Note:  only required when a leasing company is engaged in leasing or renting of motor vehicles for periods of 30 days or more.

  • All businesses must be registered with the Connecticut Secretary of State that are an LLC, Corporation, or Trust (organized in Connecticut).  They may be reach at 860-509-6003.

  • A copy of a Certificate of Good Standing must be provided by all out-of-state companies from the state they are organized in.

  • A Certificate of Business Status (form K-198) must be completed.  All leasing companies must provide a statutory agent for service located in Connecticut.
    • The following individual(s) may be an Agent for Service:
      • Person who is resident of Connecticut.
      • Domestic (Connecticut) corporation.
      • Any foreign (not Connecticut) corporation who has a certificate of authority to transact business in Connecticut.
      • Connecticut Corporation System (an independent statutory agent service) at 1-800-475-1212.
  • A copy of one driver's license.
  • A check in the amount of $300 must be submitted and made payable to the DMV.
To obtain information, please contact:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Regulated Business Licensing Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
Note:  All leasing licenses expire March 31st of their renewal year.  Renewal notices are sent out 45 days prior to expiration.
2 Year New License Fee:  $300
2 Year Renewal Fee:         $300
Renewal Late Fee:             $100