Obtaining Transporter Plates
Note:Transporter plates are only issued to businesses that are located in the State of Connecticut for the movement of specific vehicles. The Department of Motor Vehicles will only issue a transporter registration for vehicles in which no specific registration classification is assigned and may only be used to transport vehicles from one location to another. They must not be used for commercial purposes or for the carrying of passengers.
What to do:
- Complete the Transporter Registration Application (form E-211). May also be obtained from the DMV at 60 State Street Wethersfield, CT 06109 or mailed to you.
- Send in a completed Business License Personnel List with a valid e-mail address (form K-26)
- Obtain Trade Name Certificate (from the Town Clerks office), Certificate of Existence (from the Secretary of State's Office) and a completed Agent for Service Form (form K-198).
- Submit a clear copy of all owner's Drivers License(s) and A Connecticut Sales Tax Permit (from Department of Revenue Service).
- Once approved you must file an insurance certificate (R1325D), obtained through insurance company.
- File documents with the Dealers and Repairers office in Wethersfield prior to obtaining your Transporter Plate.
- Transporters Registration Application (form E-211)
- Business License Personnel List (form K-26)
- Trade Name Certificate
- Certificate of Existence
- Agent of Service Form (form K-198).
- Copy of Driver's License(s)
- Connecticut Sales Tax Permit
- Insurance Certificate (R1325D)
If you have any questions, regarding the issuance of transporter plates, please contact:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Regulated Business Licensing Unit