Intrastate and Interstate DOT Numbers

How do I apply for an Intrastate or Interstate DOT Number?

You must apply for your DOT number on-line

How do I update my Intrastate or Interstate DOT Number?

  • Interstate DOT numbers must be updated every year or immediately if something changes
  • Intrastate DOT numbers must be updated every 2 years or immediately if something changes

How do I re-activate my CT Intrastate-only DOT number?

You must call the Commercial Vehicle Safety Division at 860.263.5446.

How do I re-activate my existing Interstate DOT number?

You must update your information on the federal website:

If you have any questions on your Interstate number, please call 1-800-832-5660.

Please allow 7-10 days after you submit the above documents for reactivation of your DOT Number.

For access to your US DOT record please go online at: to request a PIN number.  You will need a PIN number to update your US DOT number.

However, proof of insurance (insurance card) must still be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles, Insurance Compliance Unit once every year. This may be faxed to 860-263-5550 or emailed to  Failure to comply may result in inactivation of your DOT Number.

Pursuant to C.G.S. 14-163c, all Connecticut motor carriers must display their legal name or single trade name and their DOT number on each side of the power unit. The DOT number must be preceded by “US DOT” and, if you are an intrastate carrier, followed by “CT”.  Example: "US DOT 1234567 CT”

Whether your company operates intrastate, meaning, you conduct business solely within Connecticut or operates interstate, you conduct business in other states; you must obtain your DOT number directly on-line.If you have any questions regarding the federal website, please call 1-800-832-5660.

Any company revoked as an interstate motor carrier is not eligible to become an intrastate motor carrier until the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has lifted the revoked status.

You are a motor carrier who must obtain an Intrastate DOT number if you operate any motor vehicle that is:

1.    Engaged in intrastate commerce and has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight of eighteen thousand one (18,001) or more pounds; or,

2.    Used in the transportation of hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding; or,

3.    Designed or used to transport more than eight passengers, including the driver, for compensation, or is designed or used to transport more than fifteen passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation.

C.G.S. 14-163c lists the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and the Hazardous Materials Regulations adopted by the State. Both Interstate and Intrastate motor carriers are subject to these laws, and it is your responsibility to comply with all state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of motor vehicles in intrastate or interstate commerce.