Plan Your Visit
Currently closed for the season. Re-opening in May, 2022.*Check out the information and virtual tours below to get a better understanding of what our museum offers.
Location: 115 Newgate Rd. East Granby, CT 06026
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 230 East Granby, CT 06026
- Located outside of the prison yard and visitor center.
- Picnic tables available (we do not regularly clean these tables).
- Beautiful view all year round.
- Available for public use at all time with no fee.
- Gift Shop and Restrooms.
- Visitors start here.
- Admissions can be purchased at the front desk.
- Above ground portion of the site.
- Open for guided tours and self-exploration.
- Includes the prison ruins, guardhouse, and cells.
- Exhibits are housed in the guardhouse.
- Take an aerial tour of the prison yard.
- Take a virtual tour of the cells.
- Mine tours are provided by museum staff.
- Complimentary timed tickets are distributed at the front desk upon admission payment.
- Tickets cannot be reserved ahead of time, except for group visits of 10 or more people.
- The mine is not a self-guided experience.
- There are 33 steps down to the mining landing which is 35 feet below ground.
- Visitors are led around a 100 yard loop descending to as low as 75 feet below ground.
- The shortest tunnel is 4 feet high.
- The mine is consistently 52 degrees, wet, and dimly lit.
- We ask that visitors consider their medical history and physical limitations before descending
to the mine.
- Strollers, wheelchairs, walkers, and similar devices are not permitted.
- Closed toed shoes are required.
- Take a virtual tour of the Mine.
Student Groups Visits
Please contact Site Manager Morgan Bengel to book a field trip / group visit or learn more. Morgan.Bengel@ct.gov | 860-655-1591
Learn more about the museum and the surrounding area at CTvisit.com.