Connecticut is #1 in the United States for insurance employees per capita. However, our fame as the Insurance Capital of the World began more than two centuries ago, with the founding of America's first insurance companies.
Today, Connecticut is a place where innovative ideas in insurance coverage, risk services, captive management, reinsurance and related services continued to be realized. As many of the country’s most recognizable names in insurance already make their home in Connecticut, you’ll find a talent pool highly trained with the experience to navigate the complexities of financial security.
Here are just a few of the reasons over 100 insurance companies call Connecticut home:
- Innovators in coverage. Connecticut has long been a pioneer and is a recognized leader in the United States insurance industry.
- Insurance and financial services-friendly government. Today, over one hundred insurance companies make their home in Connecticut. The state has always supported and continues to support the industry’s growth.
- Experts in every category. You will find employees and companies, large and small, focused on every aspect of the insurance industry, including health, property, liability, workers compensation, reinsurance, captive and much more.
- Committed to the future. Connecticut has the highest concentration of actuaries in the United States. Academic partnerships with major colleges and universities in the state are ensuring the pool of qualified workers continues to grow.
Connecticut offers a wide range of technical support and business development services for insurance companies.
- Connect with the Connecticut Insurance Department
- Tap into a statewide initiative working to encourage business attraction, retention, and public awareness of the industry’s critical economic importance.
- Find assistance with business formation and expansion, including support for licensing and permitting.
- Access loan and grant programs for small businesses.
- See the state’s support for large-scale business projects that expand or relocate here, creating jobs.
- Accumulated Tax Credit Expansion Program
- Corporate Business Tax Credit
- Fixed Capital Tax Credit
- Sales & Use Tax Exemption
- Hartford InsurTech Hub is growing insurance technology to attract new talent.
- Post or view Connecticut jobs in the insurance industry.
Here are a just few of the insurance businesses headquartered or operating in Connecticut.
You can also hear from a few of our sector leaders here.
The Navigators Group CEO Stan Galanski on relocating their headquarters from New York to Stamford.
Alexion Pharmaceuticals global head of R&D, Martin Mackay, Ph.D., on CT's business assets.
For more information on the advantages of relocating or growing your Insurance business here in Connecticut, please contact Tricia Paesani at Tricia.Paesani@ct.gov.