We are People -Call Me By My Name
commitment to seeing the person and not the disability. The SACs are challenging each one of us to be the change that makes a difference.
Disability Awareness/People First Language Pledge
- To advocate and accept my responsibility to be respectful to the individuals I work with
- To RESPECT and treat all individuals equally.
- To Call each person by their name and refer to them as “INDIVIDUALS/PEOPLE” and
stop using the word “CLIENT”
- To Support self-advocacy and stand up for individuals’ human rights.
- To be an advocate for “No More R Word” in my work place and everywhere I go.
- To Assist and make sure that each person that I work with can make their own choices,
be part of a community of their choice, and feel accepted to be themselves.
- I will use People First Language, which means seeing THE person NOT the disability,
using words and terms that are easier for people to understand.
- To be an ambassador for Self Advocates, Speak up for People First Language, and Be
the voice for change that makes peoples’ lives happen!
- To the best of my ability I solemnly swear to live by the this pledge.