DDS Information for 2010 U.S. Census
Department of Developmental Services (DDS) consumers, families and staff have expressed concerns about sharing individually-identifiable information with Census workers. The department and its public and private providers are obligated to cooperate with the U.S. Census Bureau and its workers to ensure that DDS consumers are accurately represented in the 2010 Census. When the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) was enacted, the Federal government was fully cognizant of the Constitutional mandate to conduct the Census every 10 years. Federal law prohibits the Census Bureau and its workers from disclosing any personal information collected during the Census to anyone, including federal agencies and law enforcement entities.
- DDS public and provider staff should cooperate with Census workers (identifiable by a Census badge and bag) who visit individual homes, group homes and facilities during February and March to explain how the Census will be conducted.
- During April and May, Census workers will count/interview each person. Alternately, staff may distribute questionnaires to individuals and collect them for pick-up by a Census worker. Staff may assist individuals in filling out the forms, if requested or required.
- The Census collects the following information about every person living at each residence: name, gender, age, date of birth, and ethnicity.
- Providing this information to the U.S. Census Bureau or Census workers does not violate HIPAA rules.
- During May, June and July, Census workers will visit locations from which questionnaires have not been returned, to conduct follow-up interviews.
The Hartford Local Census Office has provided an informational presentation about the 2010 Census. We encourage you to share this information with supervisors and staff of residential programs, and with individuals and their families.
Click here to view the presentation: DDS - 2010 Census Presentation (PDF, 1691 KB)
Click here to see the 2010 Census questionnaire: 2010 Questionnaire Information (PDF, 354 KB)
Click here to visit the 2010 Census website: http://2010.census.gov