State of CT logo
DDS Logo
Employee Handbook


The State of Connecticut, as an employer, is one of the largest in the State. The opportunities for promotion within the Department and throughout State service are many and varied depending on your experience and training.

It is the policy of the Department of Developmental Services to encourage its employees to avail themselves of educational and training opportunities that will improve their employment related skills, keep them current in their areas of expertise, and assist them in achieving their career development goals.

In-Service Training

In-Service Training programs provide the bulk formal employee training. A significant number of job classifications in DDS have mandatory training requirements and In-Service training is provided for this purpose. Completion of this mandatory training is a condition of employment.

In addition there are other In-Service training programs dealing with specific job-related information or skills, or courses dealing with topics of general interest to the employee for career development. Participation in this training voluntary.

Career Development

Career development programs are offered on an ongoing basis by DDS, the Department of Administrative Services (DAS), other state agencies and private vendors. Though some of these programs are offered at no cost, many others require a paid fee for attendance. While the attendee is generally required to bear this cost, in certain circumstances the fee may be paid by DDS or from funds allocated for this purpose in individual collective bargaining agreements. Please consult your particular collective bargaining agreement for more specific information.

Tuition Reimbursement

Tuition Reimbursement is intended for off-duty job related studies, usually at a college, for the purpose of improving performance on the job or keeping up with changing concepts or developments in the current field. Qualifications and funding limits for reimbursable educational programs are established by collective bargaining agreements and/or administrative regulations.

For more information on education and training benefits please contact your local Human Resources office.


Your job assignment may require travel on State business. Though state vehicles are available for use, you may need to use your personal vehicle for state business. If so, you must ensure that no state vehicle is available and advise your supervisor accordingly. If alternative arrangements cannot be made and you must use your personal vehicle, you will receive mileage reimbursement for use of that vehicle and other travel expenses in accordance with your collective bargaining agreement and/or State Travel Regulations.

All state employees who are authorized to use their own motor vehicles in the performance of their duties, must carry at least the minimum insurance coverage of:

  • Liability $50,000/$100,000
  • Property damage $5,000 

Written evidence of such coverage must be submitted to the designated business office prior to your first use of a personal vehicle and must be updated at the beginning of each of your subsequent automobile insurance policy renewal periods.