WARNING FROM DCP REGARDING NEW EMAIL SCAM
July 19, 2016 – An email scam that accuses consumers of crimes they didn’t commit, and threatens arrest if they don’t comply within 48 hours has been reported to the Department of Consumer Protection.
The email consumers received states:
The affidavit states that you went online utilizing your personal information which was track down by anti-fraud department, in order to solicit funds from a website which is owned & operated by CASH Net USA who owns & operates more than 350 websites, web portals (Ace Cash, Speedy cash, Cash & Go.) & sub lenders working for them. When your creditor attempted to extract the funds from your checking account, all six eft's were returned constituting worthless electronic check.”
The email goes on to require immediate payment, threaten a significant drop in credit score, includes an attached arrest warrant, and requires action within 48 hours to avoid arrest.
If you received an email similar to this – some signs it’s a scam are:
• Official looking state seals are used on the email and documents attached to it
• Familiar names of authority figures are used on the signature. In this case, the name Jerry Brown is used – he is the current Governor and former Attorney General of California.
• The email tells you that you need to act now, or within a short period of time to avoid serious consequences.
What you can do:
• Don’t respond to the email, but do keep records of it so they can be provided to state agencies that may need to investigate the matter.
• Contact an organization that you know and trust to check information. For example, this scam pretends that your bank account was low. Contact your bank using a known method such as the official website or customer service number to verify your balance details. Never use contact information in the scam letter or email.
• Contact the Department of Consumer Protection at 860-713-6300, or Toll-Free in CT at 800-842-2649. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: DCP on Twitter
- Facebook: DCP on Facebook