An Act Concerning Registering Underground Fuel Tank Removers
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:
Public Act No. 04-21
Public Act No. 04-21
Section 1. Section 20-419 of the general statutes, as amended by section 146 of public act 03-6 of the June 30 special session, is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2004):
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Certificate" means a certificate of registration issued under section 20-422.
(2) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Agriculture and Consumer Protection or any person designated by the commissioner to administer and enforce this chapter.
(3) "Contractor" means any person who owns and operates a home improvement business or who undertakes, offers to undertake or agrees to perform any home improvement. "Contractor" does not include a person for whom the total cash price of all of his home improvement contracts with all of his customers does not exceed one thousand dollars during any period of twelve consecutive months.
(4) "Home improvement" includes, but is not limited to, the repair, replacement, remodeling, alteration, conversion, modernization, improvement, rehabilitation or sandblasting of, or addition to any land or building or that portion thereof which is used or designed to be used as a private residence, dwelling place or residential rental property, or the construction, replacement, installation or improvement of driveways, swimming pools, porches, garages, roofs, siding, insulation, solar energy systems, flooring, patios, landscaping, fences, doors and windows and waterproofing in connection with such land or building or that portion thereof which is used or designed to be used as a private residence, dwelling place or residential rental property or the removal or replacement of a residential underground heating oil storage tank system, in which the total cash price for all work agreed upon between the contractor and owner exceeds two hundred dollars. "Home improvement" does not include: (A) The construction of a new home; (B) the sale of goods by a seller who neither arranges to perform nor performs, directly or indirectly, any work or labor in connection with the installation or application of the goods or materials; (C) the sale of goods or services furnished for commercial or business use or for resale, provided commercial or business use does not include use as residential rental property; (D) the sale of appliances, such as stoves, refrigerators, freezers, room air conditioners and others which are designed for and are easily removable from the premises without material alteration thereof; and (E) any work performed without compensation by the owner on his own private residence or residential rental property.
(5) "Home improvement contract" means an agreement between a contractor and an owner for the performance of a home improvement.
(6) "Owner" means a person who owns or resides in a private residence and includes any agent thereof. An owner of a private residence shall not be required to reside in such residence to be deemed an owner under this subdivision.
(7) "Person" means an individual, partnership, limited liability company or corporation.
(8) "Private residence" means a single family dwelling, a multifamily dwelling consisting of not more than six units, or a unit, common element or limited common element in a condominium, as defined in section 47-68a, or in a common interest community, as defined in section 47-202.
(9) "Salesman" means any individual who (A) negotiates or offers to negotiate a home improvement contract with an owner or (B) solicits or otherwise endeavors to procure by any means whatsoever, directly or indirectly, a home improvement contract from an owner on behalf of a contractor.
(10) "Residential rental property" means a single family dwelling, a multifamily dwelling consisting of not more than six units, or a unit, common element or limited common element in a condominium, as defined in section 47-68a, or in a common interest community, as defined in section 47-202, which is not owner occupied.
(11) "Residential underground heating oil storage tank system" means an underground storage tank system used with or without ancillary components in connection with real property composed of four or less residential units.
(12) "Underground storage tank system" means an underground tank or combination of tanks, with any underground pipes or ancillary equipment or containment systems connected to such tank or tanks, used to contain an accumulation of petroleum, which volume is ten per cent or more beneath the surface of the ground.
Sec. 2. Subsection (a) of section 20-420 of the general statutes, as amended by section 1 of public act 03-186, is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective October 1, 2004):
(a) No person shall hold oneself out to be a contractor or salesperson without first obtaining a certificate of registration from the commissioner as provided in this chapter, except that an individual or partner, or officer or director of a corporation registered as a contractor shall not be required to obtain a salesperson's certificate. No certificate shall be given to any person who holds oneself out to be a contractor that performs radon mitigation unless such contractor provides evidence, satisfactory to the commissioner, that the contractor is certified as a radon mitigator by the National Radon Safety Board or the National Environmental Health Association. No certificate shall be given to any person who holds oneself out to be a contractor that performs removal or replacement of any residential underground heating oil storage tank system unless such contractor provides evidence, satisfactory to the commissioner, that the contractor (1) has completed a hazardous material training program approved by the Department of Environmental Protection, (2) has presented evidence of liability insurance coverage of one million dollars, and (3) has presented evidence of a surety bond in an amount not less than two hundred fifty thousand dollars.