The Office of the Attorney General is currently closed to the Public. Click here for more information

Connecticut Attorney General's Office

Health Care Fraud Unit


The primary mission of the Health Care Fraud Unit is to discover and take action concerning health care provider fraud that results in financial loss to the State of Connecticut. The Health Care Fraud Unit develops cases independently and in conjunction with other state and federal law enforcement agencies and with state agencies that pay, directly or indirectly, for health care benefits.

Frequently asked questions:

1.  How do I make a complaint about a health care facility?

A)  Complaints pertaining to the quality of care given at a health care facility or by a licensed health care provider should be referred to the agency that licenses health care in Connecticut. Visit the Dept. of Public Health’s online complaint site.

B)  Complaints pertaining to financial fraud by health care facilities and/or health care providers can be submitted to the Office of the Attorney General in two ways:

      1.  Written complaints to:  Office of the Attorney General

                                            Health Care Fraud Unit
                                            165 Capitol Avenue
                                            Hartford, Connecticut  06141

      2.  Telephone complaints to (860) 808-5355  (Health Care Fraud Unit/AGO)

2.  How do I reach the ombudsmen in a nursing home?

The long term care ombudsmen’s program can be reached at the following location: Long Term Care Ombudsman

3.  In addition to the Attorney General’s Office, where do I report provider fraud (doctors, hospitals, financial fraud)?

The Office of the Chief State's Attorney, The Medicaid Fraud Control Unit employs a professional staff of criminal investigators, auditors and prosecutors experienced in financial investigations. In addition to investigating and prosecuting fraud by those who provide health care services, the unit investigates cases of abuse of patients who reside in facilities that receive Medicaid funding.

4. Where do I report elder abuse (including financial fraud of the elderly)?

There are several Connecticut agencies dedicated to protecting elder Americans from abuse.  If you or someone you know is suffering from any form of abuse or mistreatment, one or more of the following agencies may be able to help you: