State Benefits Overview

What's Next


Burial in the State Veterans Cemetery is reserved for eligible veterans and their spouses. Grave markers are also provided.

Additional information on burial and cemetery benefits.


Tuition Waivers

Veterans may attend Connecticut Public Colleges and Universities tuition free. Connecticut statutes provide that tuition may be waived for qualified veterans attending the University of Connecticut, Connecticut State Universities and the 12 Community-Technical Colleges. Waivers cover only the cost of tuition for credit-bearing undergraduate and graduate programs. Other charges, such as for books, student activity and course fees, parking, and room and board, are not waived. To qualify for a waiver at the University of Connecticut and Connecticut State Universities, veterans generally must be matriculated, that is, admitted to a degree program. The Community-Technical Colleges are more flexible. Remember to take a copy of your separation papers with you when applying for admission and registering for courses.

Tuition Coverage

Tuition waivers for veterans cover 100% of tuition for General Fund courses at all public colleges and universities and 50% for Extension Fund and summer courses at Connecticut State Universities.

For more information it is highly recommended you contact the Veterans Services or Financial Aid/Bursar’s Office of the school you are interested in attending.  

How To Qualify

To be eligible for veterans’ tuition benefits at any college or university, a veteran must be honorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces, 90 days active military duty, other than for training purposes, during war and must have resided in Connecticut for at least one year upon enrolling in college.

High School Diplomas and Veterans of World War II

Local Boards of Education may award high school diplomas to those World War II veterans who did not receive them when they left high school before graduation for military service. [PA 00-124]

Motor Vehicles

State law provides for free motor vehicle registration and special plates for former prisoners of war and recipients of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Veterans who were state residents at the time of induction and who apply within two (2) years of receiving an honorable discharge are exempt from paying for an operator’s license and examination fees for one (1) licensing period (CGS Sec. 14-50 ©).

State law also provides that fees may be waived for the following registration items, subject to a formal determination by the Department of Motor Vehicles:

  • Special license plates for disabled veterans, and Special-fee license plates for certain disabilities (loss of use of or loss of limb, or blindness) for handicapped and overtime parking.

Additional information for Veterans Flag on Driver’s License or CT ID

Property Tax Exemptions

Veterans, who have ninety (90) days of wartime service, including Merchant Marines who served during WWII, are eligible for a $1,500 exemption for property tax purposes (e.g., real estate property or automobiles).

Veterans below a certain income level and/or disabled veterans are eligible for additional property tax exemptions. Surviving spouses of veterans may also be eligible for this benefit. Contact your municipality’s Tax Assessor Officer for specific details. [(CGS Sec. 12-81, CGS sec. 12-81g)

An exemption is the reduction of the property’s assessed value for tax purposes. (CGS Sec. 12-81)

Indexing Exemption

Towns that evaluate after October 1988 must adjust their veteran’s property tax exemptions above statutory limits. The adjustment must be proportionate to the change in the value of the town’s grand list following revaluation. [CGS sec. 12-62)

Connecticut Veteran-Owned Micro Business Certification

Pursuant to Public Act 16-184 Connecticut Veteran-owned micro businesses shall be afforded a fifteen per cent price preference in the determination of the lowest responsible qualified bidder by the Connecticut Department of Administrative Services (DAS) pursuant to Conn. Gen. Stat. Section 4a-59 as amended.

ELIGIBILITY: To receive the fifteen per cent price preference, a bidding business must first obtain a Veteran-owned Micro Business certification from the Connecticut Department of Veterans Affairs. The Certification is valid for six months or until such time as the business is no longer in compliance with the statutory requirements, which ever occurs first. The Certification must be submitted to DAS along with your business' state contract bid.

Additional information on the Connecticut Veteran-Owned Micro Business Certification.