Burials and Cemeteries Benefits

How To

To certify that a deceased Veteran or qualifying spouse is eligible for burial in a State Veterans Cemetery the following must be provided:

  1. For a Veteran a legible copy of the Veteran’s discharge papers indicating an Honorable Discharge or General Discharge Under Honorable Conditions (e.g. DD-214 or its equivalent). Veterans with a Bad Conduct or Other then Honorable Discharge are not eligible for burial in a State Veterans’ Cemetery.
  2. A legible copy of the decedent’s death certificate.
  3. Federal 38 U.S.C. 2411 Eligibility Compliance Statement, regarding the deceased Veteran or eligible spouse, completed by a family member of the decedent or lawfully representative thereof.

You may reserve a space at the cemetery while you are still living. However, your actual gravesite will not be assigned until after your death. You must make your request in writing to:

Connecticut Department of Veterans’ Affairs
Office of Cemetery & Memorial Services
287 West Street
Rocky Hill, CT 06067

You must include a copy of your discharge papers to demonstrate your eligibility. Family and friends should be made aware of your intentions.