The Purchasing Card program is co-sponsored by the Department of Administrative Services Procurement Services and the Office of the State Comptroller. It is designed and intended to more effectively meet your purchasing and travel needs. It streamlines and simplifies the purchasing and accounts payable functions by eliminating waste and low value activities, ultimately, reducing transaction costs, and improving vendor relations. The Purchasing Card (P-Card) is a tool that facilitates the timely acquisition of materials, automates data transactions for accounting purposes, supports travel services and offers flexible controls to help ensure proper usage.
HOW IT WORKS
The P-Card is a MasterCard issued by JPMorgan Chase Bank. It works much like a personal credit card. However, it is a commercial card and each card has custom designed features, with pre-set controls built into the magnetic stripe, to meet the specific needs of the cardholder and the agency.
The P-Card simplifies the procurement and disbursement process by facilitating point-of-demand purchasing. Purchasing authority is delegated to the ordering departments enabling the authorized cardholders to place orders directly with the suppliers.
Benefits to the Cardholder
- Obtain goods and services much faster and easier than before.
- Reduces workload related to the purchase of and payment for goods.
- Allows the Cardholder to be more efficient and to focus on the value added aspects of their job.
- Reduces clerical processing time and time associated with the approval process.
- Provides end users with greater autonomy.