The Executive Residence
Georgian Colonial in design, the Executive Residence is located on six beautifully landscaped acres, at 990 Prospect Avenue, overlooking the city of Hartford. The furniture and decorations of the nineteen-room governor's residence are 18th century originals and reproductions.
The residence was built in 1909 by Dr. George C. F. Williams, who occupied it until 1933. The original cost of the development of the property was $300,000. It was purchased by the State in 1943 for $38,928, after inspection of 38 different pieces of property by the Legislative Committee on the Executive Residence.
Governor Raymond E. Baldwin and his family first occupied the residence on September 14, 1945. The formal public opening ceremonies were held on October 18, 1945.
Reproduced from the Connecticut State Register & Manual with permission of the Secretary of the State.